Both wars were easy to get into.
Both wars have proven difficult to extricate from.
Both wars faced a determined insurgency and uprising.
Both wars had a puppet, fragile government that was not able to establish legitimacy.
Both wars caused huge numbers of P.T.S.D. Upwards of 25,000 already from Iraq and Afghanistan have Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. This out of a population of some 450,000 that have served in Iraq and Afghanistan and been separated from the armed services.
Both wars were unpopular.
Both wars confirmed the dismal reputation of the United States as one of the most violent, terrorist states since the end of World War II on September 2, 1945. While Vice President Dick Cheney refers to the U.S. as leader of the “free” world and the “civilised” world, many construe this man’s character and actions as violative of basic standards of decency, morality and respect for law and order:
1) His role in altering intelligence or at minimum cherry picking. I do believe this individual deliberately altered intelligence and lied to the American people in his lust to kill Saddam and acquire U.S. hegemonic mastery over the Middle East.
2) His possible role in outing or allowing his subordinate, “Scooter” Libby, to reveal the name of Valerie Plame, C.I.A. agent.
3) His relationship to Halliburton and its obscene financial benefits from the war crime in Iraq.
4) His discussion with energy executives in the formulation of Bush administration energy policy appears to have contravened the national interest.
5) His bullying the C.I.A. and his lies about Saddam’s nuclear programme suggest this individual is an enemy of the American people and I think possesses a sociopathic personality.
While he has gravitas and an impressive persona, I believe he is so reactionary in his views that he cannot see a future for America other than robust militarism, violent displays of imperial overstretch and a neo-conservative vision in which the ends justify the means. Hopefully this person would some day be arrested and tried for war crimes. Oh, then the cleansing could begin.